Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Cabin Life


Back on June 25th, my family embarked on a car ride to a very old tradition... well, maybe "very" isn't a good word.  Let's just say I've been doing this my whole life.  Driving up to a resort on a lake to spend a whole week with my mom's side of the family.  Just last year we had to find a new resort due to the lack of updating the owner did to the cabins.  Even with a different resort, our traditions stayed alive.

Before my parents were even married, they and my grandparents from both sides of my family, spent some time up at a lake to take a break from all the craziness that goes on at home.  The cabins were small, but that didn't matter when there was plenty to do outside.  The resort had a sandy beach and plenty of docks to jump off of or fish from.  We had been going to that resort for as long as I can remember, the same cabins, the same lake.  My cousins and I used to catch frogs underneath the row boats and canoes.  The slimy amphibians could swim pretty fast once they got to the water, so we had to be quick in grabbing them.

For years, I was scared of jumping off the dock.  Why?  Because I could see seaweed touching the surface of the water.  I get so freaked out about seaweed, I thought I would never jump off that dock... until my brother pushed me off it.  I had it coming, standing near the edge, watching people jump in beside me.

Now, my family stays at a different resort.  The cabins are kept up to date and are given something new each year.  Like a new bathroom renovation or even a new set of deck chairs.  The docks are in better shape than the last resort, and the cabins aren't about to fall off of their foundations.  You know the parable where two men build their homes, one on the sand and the other on the stone?  That's what it felt like, two of the cabins were held up by cement pillars.  But the cabin was on the edge of the pillars, it was as if the pillars would slip out at any moment in time and the whole cabin would collapse.  They didn't, not while we were there.  That's why we needed to find a new resort to stay at.  Sure, I would miss the cabin memories I made at that lake.  But making new memories is what's fun about going somewhere new.

From Thunder Lake to Woman Lake, our Yahtzee tournaments, cornhole games, and campfire treats still lived on.  But enough of the backstory, you guys want to see pictures, right?  I was very excited about this post, and the number of pictures will show that. It was hard to pick and choose, so I put in as many I could :)

Most of these pictures were taken by my mom, I did take some of the lake and of the twins :3

----------------------------------------------------------------------

JPEG Image
My brother grabbed his fishing rod the very first night.

JPEG Image
My cousin was just as excited to fish as my brother was.
JPEG Image
Dad was pretty happy he found a good place to hang his hammock.
JPEG Image
My aunt already started reading.
JPEG Image
My mom's parents.
JPEG Image
My dad's parents.
JPEG Image
Brother on the Rave water trampoline.
JPEG Image
My dad and brother swimming while
 my other sibling hogged the Rave.
My cousin had twins last October,
 and we got to see them at the cabin.
Me and my cousin Summer,
  holding water balloons.
I had such a fun time this year, and I'm always amazed at the amount of fun we can pack into one week.
Katie, Phin, Kai, and me.
My grandma looked pretty
 happy to hold Phin.
My dad and Phin.

Cornhole traditions.
Games in the late night hours.
Everyone onto the Rave!
Evening activities, which involved Yahtzee,
S'mores, reading and talking with one another.
AJ and Grandpa.

Me and Ryan on the stand-up
paddleboard.

It wasn't very hard, surprisingly.
My mom had 'trying a paddleboard' on her bucket list.
Giant Jenga.
My cousins soaking up the sun while writing.

Volleyball!

My dad took my brothers out on the canoe.
Father and son paddleboat ride.

Reading corner.
Our cabin.
Very conspicuous ninjas standing in front of the sign.
Patio Scrabble.
My brilliant team.
Ground level.

Jetski ride.
Family pictures.

Cornhole game.
We're only missing two people in this picture, I think that's a new record.

Ryan and Sam in the row boat.

A great view of the resort from the lake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for staying tuned in.  I plan to post the last part of my California series.  It involves the Sequoia Nat'l forest and Mt. Rushmore.

I hope you all have a wonderful week until then.

-Anna Jolene o/

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures! We did this in the summer too, but with my cousins (five of them* and other cousins at my aunts house, there were a lot. :D

    ReplyDelete